October 14, 2018 In Recipes
Almond Butter Popcorn
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels (follow instructions to pop popcorn on the stove)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- ¾ cup sliced toasted almonds or other nuts (optional: toast yourself before mixing with the popped popcorn)
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons AFN’s Almond Butter
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- To make the sauce: In a small, heavy bottomed pot, bring the maple syrup to a boil over medium heat. Keep a watchful eye on the syrup and continue boiling for 2 minutes and 30 seconds, reducing heat only if necessary to prevent overflow. Remove the pot from heat.
- Add the nut butter, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon to the pot of maple syrup. Whisk until well blended. Drizzle the mixture over the popcorn and toss with a rubber spatula or big spoon until well mixed. Pour the popcorn on the parchment-covered baking sheet and arrange it in a single layer.
- Bake the popcorn for 6 minutes, then rotate the pan and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional cinnamon and salt, to taste. The popcorn will continue to crisp up as it cools. Once it’s cool, break the popcorn into pieces (or leave them in chunks!) and serve.